Gain answers to the following:
Can new message queue protocols such as AMQP, MQTT & STOMP address weather data dissemination issues?
In particular, is AMQP (Eurocontrol’s choice) the ideal candidate for other weather wata exchanges
- would this be a long term solution?
- how could Message Queue protocol coexist with existing FTP based WIS?
The buiness case is to offer the possibility for internet users to access WIS data cache using publish/subscribe mechanism
Proof of concept covering:
- Pub/sub on 24h cache data, providing data through FTP, getting data through AMQP
- Pub/sub on French global model (Arpege) , getting link through AMQP (large files demonstration):
- with direct AMQP dissemination
- with AMQP “availability” dissemination providing the customers information that data is ready for downloading (possibly using “metalink” files)
- Pub/sub over an AMQP Cluster (Several nodes in a single location to provide High Availability & High throughput)
- Pub/sub over an AMQP Federation (Different clusters separated by possibly lossy and high latency WAN links)
- Security aspects (use of TLS, messages signatures, certificates)
- Potential SLAs
- Candidate architecture how AMQP could coexist with FTP/SFTP based data exchanges
Sponsor and funding source
This project will be exclusively funded by in kind contribution. No funding is required from the Association. The sponsor is Méteo France.
Milestones and Schedule
|Project Milestone||Begin Date||End Date|
|Deliverable 1 milestones|
|Deliverable 2 milestones|
|Deliverable 3 milestones|
|Deliverable 4 milestones|
|Deliverable 5 milestones|
Roles and Responsbilities
|Resource Name||Organization||Role||What this person will be do in relation to a milestone||Time period needed for resource|
|David Podeur||Météo France||Project Manager||Co-ordination and support acheiving deliverables||August 2018 to June 2019|
|Steve Olson||National Weather Service (NWS)||TBD||TBD||TBD|
Communication and Reporting
State the communication and reporting arrangements for interactions with:
Regular update to the Steering Committee
Configuration Management Process
- State how any of artefacts needed for each of the deliverables will be managed, referring to the relevant rules and rules supplements of the OpenWIS Association.