-30th March 2020 - Webex tele-conference

1. Welcome and introductions 1.1 Attendees:

  • Rémy Giraud (RGr), Météo France [MF] - SC Chair
  • Benjamin Saclier (BS), Météo France [MF]
  • Loïc Le Gallou (LG), Météo France International [MFI]
  • Kari Sheets (KS), National Weather Service [NWS]
  • Steve Olson (SO), National Weather Service [NWS]
  • Weiqing Qu (WQ), Bureau of Meteorology (BoM)
  • Stephan Siemen (SS), European Centre for Medium-Range Weather Forecasts [ECMWF]
  • Jude Anthonisz (JA), OpenWIS Association Secretariat
  • Jeremy Tandy, Met Office [UKMO] - SC Vice-Chair
  • Mikko Visa (MV), Finnish Meteorological Institute [FMI]
  • Mikko Partio (MP), Finnish Meteorological Institute, Finland [FMI]

1.2 Apologies:

  • Benjamin Saclier (BS), Météo France [MF]
  • Stephan Siemen (SS), European Centre for Medium-Range Weather Forecasts [ECMWF]

1.3 Not present:

  • Sungsoo Do (SD), Korea Meteorological Administration [KMA]
  • Dr. S.L. Singh (SLS), India Meteorological Department [IMD]

2. Approval of the agenda

  • RGr – I would like to discuss legal advice regarding procurement as part of agenda item 6.3..

3. Approval of previous minutes

  • All – OK. The minutes of the meeting on 16 December 2019 were approved by all.

4. OpenWIS Association Logistics

  • Confirmation of arrangements of virtual SC and Board meetings https://github.com/OpenWIS/openwis- documentation/issues/558
  • RGr - the approach is to have virtual meetings, given the travel and isolation requirements brought about by the COVID19 pandemic. So, we need to agree a suitable time-slots and shorter sessions for TC, SC and Board meeting during mid to end May 2020.
  • RGr - we also need formal approval of the Board for having a virtual arrangement for these annual meetings. Therefore, are present Board members in agreement?
  • LL - agreed with proposal
  • WQ - Agreed
  • JT - agreed as no other viable option.
  • RGr - We have a decision as most of the Board agreed. Steve, can you find a date for the TC first, within the next two weeks and will inform dates for SC and Board
  • SO - OK
  • RGr - Are two-hour slots are OK?
  • WQ - two hours may be too short. I can start at 7pm local time for BoM. Is this OK for USA?
  • SO - that will be 4am is USA, so not good.
  • RGr - So, 9pm local time in BoM is OK?
  • SO and KS - Yes
  • WQ- 9pm is OK.
  • RGr – OK so, 3 hours from 9pm?
  • WQ - Yes.
  • RGr – Is two 3-hour sessions OK for SC and Board?
  • JT - Yes
  • RGr - So overall, 2 sessions of 3 hours for TC, SC and Board each, staring at 9pm Melbourne time in May 2020. This should be a 7am start for Washington and either: 12am; 13pm or 2pm starts in Europe.
  • ALL - agreed.
  • RGr – SO can you set the TC between 18-20 May?

ACTION - SO to confirm the TC slot by 9 April 2020.

  • RGr - The other slots will be SC- between 21-25 May and for the Board, between 26-28 May.

ACTION - JA to liaise with RGr and WQ to confirm slots and set up meetings

  • All - agreed

5. Risk review and development of mitigation plans https://github.com/OpenWIS/openwis- documentation/issues/555 and https://github.com/OpenWIS/openwis-documentation/projects/4

  • All live risks were reviewed and updated.
  • There were no new risks or worsening of existing risks.

6.0 Key Outstanding actions:
A number of actions remaining open that could easily be closed subject to agreement (full list of actions - https://github.com/OpenWIS/openwis-documentation/issues?page=1&q=is%3Aopen+is%3Aissue+label%3A%22Steering+Committee%22

[6.1 Update the Articles of Association - https://github.com/OpenWIS/openwis-documentation/issues/553.
ACTION – SC Members to review and feedback in time for agreement at the annual SC Meeting in May 2020

6.2 Retention policy for non-personal date

  • No progress at present, but live action to be monitored.

6.3 List of obligation to Belgian Authorities

  • Confirmed that Legal advice received that the Association needs to follow procurement rules of a public body.

6.4 Trademark fees (this is a Board item

  • Agreed that this work is complete and the trademark is extended for 10 years (work done by MF). Please note that here may be more work to done as a result of UK exit of the EU.

7. Next meeting Agreed that the next SC will be between 21-25 May 2020. Please see agenda item 4, for more information.

8. Any other business Brief updates on:

8.1 CICD environment

  • SO - The last training session with supplier has been conducted. Therefore, preparing to close the project and end supply contract when the follow actions is complete:
    • Agreement on process for code builds. The aim is to strengthen existing processes; and
    • Agree process for protecting master and development branches for any future code development.
  • SO - Overall in good shape for future code developments We have training videos that can be re- used.
  • RGr – Thank you SO and BS for completing the work so far.

8.2 OpenWIS 3.x Middleware

  • SO - the RFP will be updated by June or July 2020. So, procurement would commence after that. Implementation is expected to be complete by December 2020.

8.3 Pub-sub workshop

  • RGr - 35 people attended the workshops in early March in Toulouse with wide representation.
    Progress is good and documentation will be published on the WMO wiki soon.
  • RGr - From a technical perspective there is a consensus that AMQP1 will be used for alignment with the Aviation industry. However, MQTT3.11 and potently AMPQ 09.11 is the most robust. Therefore, for WIS2 is likely to provide a choice of AMQP versions.
  • RGr - Brazil is working on a trial based on Python and Paraguay working on a trial based on Java.

8.4 MFI work with Singapore

  • LL – The project with Singapore is underway and waiting to implement on a cloud platform.

9. Summary of recommendations to the Board No recommendations needed.

10. Closure of the meeting The meeting closed at 1433 hours UK time.