The following 3-year strategy was agreed at the Annual Meeting in March 2016; therefore, the objective is to achieve these goals by March 2019.
Goal 1. Stabilise OpenWIS-Core software to a supportable version with good test coverage
- Metric 1.1: Good test coverage (ACTION for TC to define)
- Metric 1.2: Patchable (ACTION for TC to define)
Goal 2. Delivery of OpenWIS-Core software that meets needs of operational WIS Centres
- Metric 2.1: At least two Member or Partner organisations have deployed the latest operational release and accepted it for operational use by Q4 2017… quality assessment.
- Metric 2.2: All Member and Partner organisations are operating a version that is less than 1 year old, by Q4 2018 … adoption level
- Metric 2.3: Compliance with the WIS Technical Specifications (v1.0) is verifiable and published by Q4 2018.
Goal 3. Make OpenWIS-Core software easily customisable for deployment at WIS centres
- Metric 3.1: To be able to integrate with a new data-source or dissemination component (that is exposed via a REST web service API) without needing to modify source-code; configuration changes only.
- Metric 3.2: Basic customisation (e.g. colour, theme etc.) of web-based UI requires a simple configuration change only.
Goal 4. OpenWIS-Core software is being used to reach new communities
- Metric 4.1: OpenWIS-Core software is used by operational centres to meet ‘wider’ data portal requirements, particularly from GDPFS and CSIS; and these portals are being actively used
- Metric 4.2: (Meta)data exposed by operational centres running OpenWIS-Core software is discoverable via search engines (Google, Bing, Yahoo, etc.)
- Metric 4.3: OpenWIS-Core software is being used to make data exposed by web-based services discoverable.
Goal 5. Usability of the OpenWIS-Core software is improved
- Metric 5.1: ‘Normal’ users (not WMO data managers) can easily find data and the related services
- Metric 5.2: Setting up a subscription doesn’t require reading guidance documentation (!)
Goal 6. OpenWIS-Core software helps metadata authors produce ‘better’ metadata
- Metric 6.1: Metadata editor provides Templates corresponding to Guidance topics from IPET-MDRD
Goal 7. Search algorithms in OpenWIS-Core software favourably rank ‘quality’ metadata
- Metric 7.1: [to be decided].
Goal 8. Readiness of the OpenWIS-Core software project for engagement with open source community
- Metric 8.1: OpenWIS-Core Development Process published; transparent project governance in place
- Metric 8.2: GitHub repositories public
- Metric 8.3: project website published
- Metric 8.4: documentation for on-boarding new developers available